Thursday, August 02, 2007

Slacker

I'm such a slacker. I've been meaning to post about our Minnesota trip for over a week now while it was still fresh in my mind, but never did. So, now you get the short version.

We got there on Friday (7/20). Our flight was really good. I'm a VERY nervous flyer so I'd been anxious about this trip for months. But there was very little turbulence and takeoff and landing were just about perfect. I only shed a few tears just to get the anxiety out when we started moving toward the runway, but after that I was pretty okay. The Turkey seemed to enjoy the flight. He bounced around quite a bit.

That night, Chris's dad was in a parade that was part of the county fair, so we did that. It was pretty cool. The weather wasn't too bad and we had nice chairs to sit in. Plus, the parade people were giving out candy so I got to eat some yummies. The kids around us sucked, but that sort of thing happens. Here's a pic of my father-in-law in the parade. He's second from the end (in front of the lady with the black and white horse).

The next day, a bunch of family came over for a barbeque. It was so cool meeting the people I'd heard Chris talk about for the past five years, but had never seen pictures of or seen in person. I wish I'd thought to take a group photo. Maybe next year.

Sunday was the day of the Demolition Derby! I was so looking forward to that. In the morning/afternoon, Chris and I took the four-wheeler out to explore the property (it's pretty damn big). I was scared but trusted that Chris knew what he was doing and wouldn't hurt us. I clung to him for dear life. Here's a pic of him getting ready for a joyride after he dropped me off. Next thing I knew, I saw him zooming across the field at a million miles an hour. Glad he didn't do that with me on there!

We headed out to the County Fair in search of some funnel cake. There were a few places that had them, but we weren't hungry yet so we figured we'd have some a little bit later. Turns out, by the time we wanted them, the shut down the funnel cake thing. Damn them.

Then...Demo Derby time! It was freaking awesome! I had so much fun. I don't have any super great pics but, just to prove to my doubting relatives and friend that I was actually there, here's one:
That pink car was amazing. Their entire back end was flattened and they just kept going. It was great.

And, no trip to Minnesota is complete without a visit to the Mall of America. It was big, no doubt about it. I wasn't interested in shopping so much as being able to say I was there, so I took a pic of the indoor amusement park, we walked around a little, and then called it a day.

Since my father-in-law works for the airline, he was able to secure passes to go to the gate with us while we waited for our plane. I thought that was cool that we got to spend a little more time with them. I'm sure they were bored sitting around, but so were we! :-)

All in all, it was a great trip. I survived the flights, the Turkey got some presents, good food was eaten, and I had a nice, well-rounded Minnesota experience. I'll end with a pic of one of my sisters-in-law:

4 comments:

Andria said...

yay for the Mall!!! Buy anything good?

Brian said...

I had no idea you went, Mom is doing a horrible job of making sure I know what you are doing.

Josephine said...

That mall is quite a mall! (expensive, though) Glad you had a great time!

Poppy said...

Forget the mall...tell me more about the demolition derby??!! I used to love going to watch those when I was a kid!!

Sounds like you had a great trip.

ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425 ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425