Wednesday, July 16, 2008

8 Months

Carter turned 8 months old yesterday. It seems like every day he's doing something new and wonderful. He's growing up so quickly.

He's improving very quickly with his crawling. And now he can get himself to a sitting position from crawling mode. That makes him very happy. He's starting to eat some "real" foods...puffs, bits of cracker, bread, etc. He looks so proud when he feeds himself. It really only took me a few times of showing him what to do before he got it. Each day he gets better and better at getting the food into his mouth.



We're working on teaching him how to clap, which I think will be the first step to teaching him signs. I do the sign for "more" a lot and he seems to maybe understand what I'm saying, but he's not doing it back yet. Shaista (his sitter) says they do clapping a lot so hopefully he'll get it soon. They also must sing the ABC song a lot because as soon as I start singing it, he stops his whining (or whatever he's doing at that moment the prompts me to start singing) and watches me intently, smiling.

He seems to be on a fairly good schedule these days. He wakes up once a night, usually around 4 or 5, but goes right back to sleep after I nurse him. He gets up for good by 8:00 and then takes a mid-morning nap for about 45 minutes. He takes a (usually) longer nap mid-afternoon and then another at 5:30 when we get home from work/daycare. If he's not up on his own, I wake him up at 7:00 so he can play with Daddy, eat dinner, get a bath, etc before bedtime at 8:30ish. Bedtime is super easy (hope I'm not jinxing it!). We put him down and he goes to sleep. Simple as that! No binkie, no lovey, just the kid and the mattress. And sometimes his tv.

Still not saying anything other than "dada" all the time. Believe me, I'm working on it! He does like when Chris whispers to him and sometimes he'll whisper back, but it's usually some variation on "dada." He also likes to blow raspberries.

My favorite thing though? His sneezes. They are just so darn cute. And he smiles really big every time. Especially if he just sneezed in someone's face. :-)

10 comments:

I'm Not Skippy said...

Hooray for TVs!

I'm glad to see our little guy is right there too.

gail said...

He's amazing Amy, really. I hope I get to meet him soon, hint hint.

Anonymous said...

You can see how proud he is once he gets it in his mouth and knows it's there.

Daily Verses said...

Oh that was just too cute! What is it with babies and sneezing? Mine would smile, too.

Beth said...

He's really good with his hand/eye coordination. Very impressive. And YAY for a schedule. I hope you didn't jinx yourself too :)

Holly said...

Ryan LOVES his puffy things. He gets them twice a day, typically. He has also become find of Ritz crackers. I may hang Sydney's aquarium in his crib so that I can "just put him down" at night. I still have to rock him to sleep most of the time, but I do let him get himself back to sleep during the night.

Wahoo for Mr. C - getting so big! Before you know it, you'll have to look around the house to see where he's crawled to.

Anonymous said...

I am very envious of your sleep schedule! I can't seem to get more than 4 consecutive hours.

Jessica said...

Wow. You guys are really rockin' this parenting thing! :)
Here's to another awesome 8 months!!

Becki said...

He's adorable :) I love his smile!

NG said...

Oooh, I'm lusting after your nap schedule. Sleep is still a mystery to us. I'd kill for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425 ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425