Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

There's been a lot of talk in BlogLand of what constitute's a Mother and who's "allowed" to celebrate Mother's Day. One of the blogs I read, and my stupid brain can't remember who it was, said it best. She said that when you're pregnant with your first child, you're a Mother the second you conceive that child, but you're just not yet a Mommy. I like that theory, although I don't know that I truly felt like a mother until our second ultrasound, when I saw that little umbilical cord tethering our little Turkey to me. But a mother is someone who puts their child's needs before their own, and I've been doing that since even before we conceived. I gave up caffeine, I tried to eat well and drink more water, I stayed away from cigarette smoke. I did everything I could to protect this little one before he even existed. I guess that's what makes me a Mother. And that's why it felt so nice to be on the receiving end of Mother's Day.

I think about myself and my friends that have miscarried or lost their babies later on and I'm sad that we're not yet Mommies. I hope next Mother's Day brings us all the joy of having our own child, finally.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425 ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425