Sunday, October 21, 2007

Odds and Ends

Got some random stuff to post about.

First, my husband is the greatest guy in the whole world. He knew I was having a rough day on Friday (hormones, I'm sure) so he came home with flowers for me. He's never done that! Seeing him walk in the door with them completely made my day and turned my mood around 180 degrees. I love that man. For my birthday present, he got me my Moby. I'm so excited to try it out! I practiced a little yesterday and the basic wrap doesn't seem that hard, and I'm hoping it's even easier when this belly is a little flatter. I can't wait for the Turkey to get here so he can lay in it. Scratch that. I CAN wait. More on that later.

Second, Girl sent the cutest quilt. She's such a talent! Chris was so excited to see a package for us that he started ripping it open and wouldn't even tell me who it was from until I got really mad and forced him to tell me. Then when I found out it was from Girl, I wanted him to rip it open even faster. I'm a dork, but I just adore that woman.

Here's a pic of the quilt she made us and a closeup of the pattern. It's so stinkin cute

Third, I finally finished the baby blanket I've been working on since I was 20 weeks. It's not that it took that long to do, because it's crochet and it's WAY faster than knitting. I'm just too obsessed with my fish game and Sims to make time to work on it. I suck. But it's done now except for weaving in the ends. I think it turned out really cute. I'm proud of myself. Now I need to find a pattern for a hat that would go with it.

And, last but certainly not least, we got to make our first trip to the hospital last night. I noticed around 6:00 that I was having contractions about 5 minutes apart. We were waiting for a table at Carraba's so I figured we'd eat and see how things went and then deal with it after dinner. Still no change about 1.5 hours later so we went home and put in a call to the doctor. It took about 40 minutes for Dr. Montilla to call back, but I told him what was happening and he told me to go to the hospital to get checked out. So, we packed a bag and brought some pillows and headed out, just in case. I didn't think this was the real deal so I surprisingly was very calm about everything.

We showed up at the ER and they rushed us through registration without having to wait. The girl at the front desk looked really nervous when we walked in the door. I had to assure her that I was not in any pain and did not need a wheelchair. It was just contractions, not labor, and I'm fine, but thank you. It was funny. After we registered, they escorted us upstairs to Labor and Delivery. All the nurses were at the nurses' station. I don't think there were ANY patients. We walked in and everyone turned around, smiling, and looked at us expectantly. I was like, "Um, hi everyone!" They laughed and one of them approached us and after I told her my name she knew who I was because the doctor had called and told them to expect me and she took us to a room. I was surprised I didn't go to Triage but I guess it was quiet enough in there that there was room for me in a real room.

She had me put a gown on and give a urine sample and then strapped me in to the monitors. Baby's heartrate sounded awesome. I loved listening to it. She checked me and said I was nice and closed up tight, which was great news. I'd been contracting about every 10 minutes, off and on, for a week so I wasn't sure if any change had been made to my cervix or not. Good to know that they didn't make any changes. So she had us hang out for a while with the monitors on. And of course, my contractions all but stopped. I had a few, but nothing huge. I felt so stupid, but after contracting every 5 minutes for 2.5 hours, you'd think they wouldn't just stop abruptly like that. Idiot contractions. So, after a while they sent us home with instructions to lay low today and drink a lot of water. And that's what I'm doing. Still contracting but I'm not timing them right now. I think they're about 10 to 20 minutes apart. Not sure though.

Some pics Chris took with his cell phone to document our evening:

Whew. That's the longest blog post I've done in forever! Now I need a nap.


Steph said...

YAY for flowers and the Moby! (That thing is a Godsend) and for Blankies for baby! :) Im sorr you had to go to L&D, but glad it was slow and you were able to have a real room. Lets hope those contractions stay away.

Holly said...

You look fabulous - even in that horrible rag of a hospital gown!!!! Girl did an amazing job on the quilt. It's beautiful. And, of course, the blanket you made looks great.

And I have to say - I LOVE your DH, he rocks!!!!!

Mom said...

You definitely keep life interesting. Girl did a beautiful job on the quilt. That was so nice of her. I loved the blanket you much nicer than the ones I ever knitted. I know you won't mind taking a few naps today. Nothing like telling you to lay around all day. I know you love that. I'm just glad the Turkey is still baking and is waiting for Thanksgiving time to finish. He will be the yummiest turkey ever.

Mom said...

I totally forgot to tell you how wonderful that was of Chris to be so tuned in to you. It was a long entry you posted and I knew I wouldn't remember all that I wanted to say.

Heather said...

Whoa! That's quite a birthday weekend.

Love the quilt and the blanket!! See? Wasn't so hard to finish...

Jenn said...

Glad you and Turkey are doing great! Girl's handiwork is awesome! One of my favorite parts of c-section prep was listening to the girls on the monitor. They strap you up when you get there and you wind up waiting about 1.5 hours before surgery. Tons of time listening to the whish-whoosh of the heart beat. :)

Butrfly Garden said...

I think the false labor is just to get you ready for that kid's life. He'll be "scare-you" sick until you get into the doctor and then he'll be perfectly fine. He'll learn wonderful, amazing things and then lie like a log anytime someone else is around. He'll be interested in one crazy thing and once you get used to it, he'll change it to some other crazy thing. :D

I love your blankets!! And that was wonderful of Chris. I'm not a really flowery girl, but flowers from your guy always brighten a day!

Josephine said...

Yikes! Glad all is well!

Laura said...

Happy belated birthday!

Kudos to your husband and Girl. Sounds like you have some wonderful people in your life!

Anonymous said...

You are never going to forget this birthday. Glad Turkey is behaving and that you are doing well.

And, the quilt is lovely. I really like the fabrics; they're adorable.


Katrina said...

I love the blanket you made...i wish i was that productive when i was pregnant!
I'm sorry about the contractions you were having...your body will be practicing for weeks now ;)
I'm glad you and baby boy are doing well!!

ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425 ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425