Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Here's looking at you, kid!


Or, as Chris calls it, the Sexy Sonogram.

We saw our little Turkey on the big screen today for our 20 week measurement ultrasound. First off, it was my first abdominal ultrasound so I was really excited about that. I'm sick of the internal one. She squirted a ton of freezing cold goo on my belly and there was our little Turkey. He'd gotten so big since the last time I saw him at 13 weeks!

The first thing I noticed was a beautiful spinal column. It was perfect. Then the tech went around and checked head size and leg bones and such. Then...the moment. She froze the screen and said, "Now, for the sex." I said, "Wait! What are you looking at??" because I didn't see what I was looking for (the typical between the legs shot). She pointed out with the cursor what she was looking at and I yelled out, "It's a boy!" Sure enough, our little Turkey's a boy! We're so excited. I'm a little bit in shock but slowly getting used to the idea.

Here's a pic of his boy parts. The arrow's pointing right at his junk. I guess if he was out of my body this could be considered inappropriate posting a pic of my son's penis. My son. Oy.

Everything else looked perfect. His heart rate was 147 bpm and he weighs approximately 14 oz. He wasn't moving around much (for once!) but Chris got to see him punch me. :-)

After the sono, they weighed me and checked my blood pressure. All you haters out there will be happy to know that I've gained 4.5 pounds in the past month so you can stop cussing me out under your breath. We then moved to an exam room so they could measure me and wound up waiting in there for 45 freaking minutes! That's a small room to wait that long in and we got a little antsy. When Karen (my midwife) walked in, she saw Chris with a tape measure to my belly trying to measure my fundal height. She started laughing and then showed him how to do it and he measured me. 19 inches. Just about perfect.

We scheduled a follow up ultrasound for six weeks from now to check my placenta. It's a little low and they just want to make sure it moves up as my uterus grows and stays away from the top of my cervix. No big deal and I'm not worried about it. We also scheduled our 4D ultrasound for that day. Should be a fun morning! Well, except for the fact that I'm also doing my glucose test that day. Yuck.

Off to go fix our Babies R Us registry to reflect our new "boy" status!

14 comments:

Andria said...

Oh Amy, that's a mighty fine looking boy. Him, and all of his "parts". ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I'm so thrilled that you know it's a boy! And super fun to have boys anyway. All my best, Sher

Josephine said...

Boys and their parts RULE!

Emmakirst said...

Congrats on the boy!! Great pics. I'm going next Tues for my follow up u/s since it was showing placenta previa at that time.

Holly said...

LOVE IT!!! His buddy out here in Arizona is pretty excited he's a he and not a she - I can't wait to get them together. Congrats to you and Chris both...

Ashley said...

congrats on your SON! wow! :)

fiberlicious said...

So happy for you, I could burst!

Poppy said...

Dontcha just love saying that? My son...has such a wonderful ring to it, does it not?

I have 3 sons and they've brought a lot of joy to my life. I'm sure your little fella will bless your life with much love, happiness and joy :)

Congrats to you and Chris~

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys! Boys are little lovers!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! We're very excited for you!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a bunch of us are out of the running in the baby pool. Good luck to those of you who can still be a part of it....I'm truly thrilled it is a boy, even though I won't be a winner.

Erika said...

Once again - congrats Amy & Chris!

Isn't it hilarious how we'll post pictures like that of our children's "goodies" when they are on an ultrasound or show them off around our office? An interesting cultural phenomenon!

Anonymous said...

It used to be that our parents would embarrass us with photos in the bath tub...Now, with technology, we're not even safe in the womb....

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrat's Amy and Chris!!!

Having a boy is so much fun...Chris will have a tennis buddy for life.

Nicole B

ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425 ss_blog_claim=86be2c4954b7fd5203a34626824dc425